Gideon's Trumpet

Anything and everything blogs designed to provoke free thought and discussion.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

"...But it HURTS the POOR!"

A recent news opinion almost made me spew my coffee across the room. Here was a state senator pushing for a sales tax on fast food, and the mandatory liberal rebuttal "but it hurts the poor" was spouted by his opponents.

Hmmm. Let's think about this, shall we? Are our constitutional rights to be construed as including a daily meal at McDonald's? The USDA doesn't seem to think so, as such purchases are not allowable with food stamps. But here we have the liberals, who demand more and more services, complaining that a sales tax applied to fast food, a luxury item if ever there was one, would unfairly jeopardize the poor.

The simple fact is, as one who has lived in those shoes, I can tell you that I can feed my ENTIRE FAMILY for less than what ONE fast food value meal costs, and some meals amount to a FRACTION of that. That's right. So if I choose the number 6 value meal, I am essentially depriving my family of one meal for my own greedy satisfaction.

Fast food actually hurts the poor by providing poor nutrition at an inflated cost. This drives up the cost of state funded health insurance programs, resulting in an increased need for tax revenue.

So, in essence, a fast food tax is ONE tax that's not inappropriate.

8 Comments:

At 11:13 PM, Anonymous zeb said...

ya know, if liberals would just "think" for a minute alot of our problems would go away.

 
At 7:04 PM, Anonymous DV said...

I'd like to know just how exactly you feed your entire family for less than what one fast food meal costs. That is rather efficient.

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Marie said...

I think I qualify as working poor.

I would not appreciate one new tax.

On the occasional day that I forgot to defrost, or I suddenly had an errand, or what have you, I get $1 burgers from McDonald's. I can't make a burger for $1. Nor a McChicken, for that matter.

For my daughter's fifth birthday, my son took her to McDonald's. She got a McChicken, a drink, and an ice cream, and got to play in the playland. She was overjoyed, and it was something he at age 12 could afford to do.

Taxes make us all poorer.

 
At 5:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hope you choke on your coffee next time

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger G_in_AL said...

there you go again, trying to remove the dependancy generation from the liberal base.

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger G_in_AL said...

Taxes make us all poorer.

No, government makes us poorer, taxes are just how we fund them. Ask your representitives to quit increasing them, and you'll solve your problems.... oh, but get used to driving on dirt roads if want to blanket all taxes with that.

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Gideon MacLeish said...

I'd like to know just how exactly you feed your entire family for less than what one fast food meal costs. That is rather efficient.

Simple. One pound of hamburger, at $2 a pound, with two boxes of generic hamburger helper (2 more bucks), two 40 cent cans of peas, and you have a meal for right at $5. Or, if you want to go cheaper, enough beans and rice to feed the family for a buck or less.

When your income is limited, you do what you have to do.

Marie,

I never appreciate a new tax. Ever. But if you can afford a buck for a dollar menu item (and yes, you CAN make a hamburger yourself that cheaply...McD's patties are a scant 1.6 ounce of meat), you can afford taxes more than most.

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Gideon MacLeish said...

hope you choke on your coffee next time

I see someone's mommy forgot to teach them to play nice with others. Maybe it's the hormones in all that fast food meat you've been eating.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home